Application for Transfer Certificate (TC): A transfer certificate (TC) is an essential document for students switching schools, colleges, or educational institutions. It certifies that a student has completed their prior education or discontinued enrollment from an institution.
TCs are mandatory for new admissions, so knowing how to write an accurate TC application is crucial when transferring schools or colleges.
This comprehensive guide will teach you how to craft an ideal TC application letter.
What is a Transfer Certificate?
A transfer certificate (TC) is an official document issued by schools and colleges when a student leaves the institution after finishing their education or for any other reason.
Key details a TC document contains:
- Confirmation that the student has completed a grade/year/degree or that they have discontinued studies.
- Declaration that the student has cleared all fees and has no pending financial dues.
- Student’s details include name, age/date of birth, class/year details, section, roll number, admission details, and period attended.
- Academic performance and results details
- Conduct and character verification
The TC proves that the student has officially left the school/college/institute and facilitates authentication of their academic records for new admissions.
Who Issues Transfer Certificates in Schools and Colleges?
When Will You Need a Transfer Certificate?
Common scenarios when students require a TC:
- After finishing Class 10th/12th and seeking admission for higher secondary or college respectively.
- Relocating to another city/locality mid-session due to parent’s job transfer.
- Financial conditions forcing students to drop out.
- Switching schools due to a lack of preferred academic streams.
Relocating to another city/state due to parent’s job transfer or other reasons.
Financial constraints or personal reasons require a student to discontinue studies.
Securing admission to a better college by transferring institutes.
How to Write an Application Letter for TC?
Follow these steps to draft an accurate transfer certificate application:
1. Follow the Official Format
- Use a formal letter format.
- Address the letter to your institute’s principal/registrar/dean.
- Include the date, subject line (Application for Transfer Certificate), and salutation.
2. Provide Student Particulars
Mention these details at the start:
- Full name
- Class/Year plus section
- Roll number
- Parent’s name
- Stream (for colleges)
- Department (for colleges)
- Admission details
This information helps the reader identify the student applicant.
3. Explain the TC Requirement
Specify the reasons why you need this transfer certificate. For instance:
- New admission
- Family transfers
- Health reasons that prevented study continuation
Documents can help support the reasons mentioned.
4. Attached Support Documents
To strengthen your TC request, attach relevant documents if applicable:
- Parents’ transfer order
- Admission application/offer letter from new institute
- Course stream change application
- Medical certificate
5. Mention the Expected Date for TC
Politely specify by what date or within how many days you need the TC issued.
Example: “I kindly request you to please issue my transfer certificate within 7 days i.e. by 8th August, 2022.”
6. Close with Gratitude
End your TC application letter by thanking the principal/registrar for considering your request.
Transfer Certificate Request Letter Samples
For better understanding, read these sample TC application letters:
1. Application for Transfer Certificate After 12th
ABC Higher Secondary School
16 August 2022
Subject: Application for Transfer Certificate
I, Tarun Gupta, Father’s name Ram Gupta, a Class 12 Science student of your esteemed institution would like to apply for my original transfer certificate.
I have cleared the Class 12 board examinations this year securing 87% marks. I have been admitted to Vivekananda College’s B.Sc. Computer Science program through its merit-based selection procedure.
The new semester will begin on 3rd September, 2022. I need to submit my original TC during the admission registration formalities by 25th August 2022.
I kindly request you to issue my transfer certificate within a week’s time i.e. latest by 23rd August 2022. As per institute records, I have cleared all my dues.
Please feel free to reach out to me on Phone no _____ or Email_____ for any other documents or clarification needed in this matter.
Thank you for your assistance and support as always Ma’am.
Class 12 A
Roll no. 15
2. Father’s Job Relocation – Need TC for Son
Saint Paul’s Matriculation School
1st September 2022
Subject: Application for Son’s Transfer Certificate
I, Rajesh Prasad, father of Vikram Prasad studying in Class 9th Div. B of your reputed school, am being transferred from Bangalore to Mumbai immediately due to official reasons. The entire family is relocating this month together.
I have already applied to a few good CBSE schools in Mumbai for Vikram’s admission. He will need a transfer certificate from your institution to submit during the admission process in Mumbai.
I sincerely request you to kindly issue Vikram’s TC at the earliest. As per institute records, all his fee dues stand cleared.
Please contact me at Phone/Email _______ for any clarification or documents needed for issuing his transfer certificate.
Your support is greatly appreciated.
Thanks and regards,
3. Application for College Transfer Certificate
Rajeev Gandhi College of Arts and Commerce
7th July 2022
Subject: Application for Transfer Certificate
I am Samhita Roy, 1st year B.Com student of Rajeev Gandhi College. My details are:
Full Name: Samhita Roy
Class: B.Com 1st Year
Admission year: 2021
Roll No: 0552
Parents’ Name: Ratan Roy
I am relocating to Pune with my family next week as my father has been transferred there for work reasons. Hence, I will be discontinuing my B.Com studies at this college.
I kindly request you to issue my college transfer certificate at the earliest to facilitate my new admission to Pune’s colleges. As per the Accounts Department, no fees or dues are pending for me.
Please find copies of my father’s transfer letter and my new college admission application letter attached for reference.
Looking forward to receiving my TC soon. Thank you for your help!
Phone no: _____
Email ID: ______
4. Application for Transfer Certificate by Parents
To, The Principal School/College name Address
Subject: Application for transfer certificate of (student’s name)
I, (Your name), father/mother of (Student’s name), studying in Class/Year (details) would like to apply for a transfer certificate for my child.
(Student’s name) has been a student of this esteemed (school/college) for the past (duration). (Give reason for taking TC – family relocation/further studies etc.)
I request you to kindly issue (student’s name) a transfer certificate at the earliest to facilitate (his/her) admission to the new (school/college). I confirm that there are no pending fees or dues on (student’s name) as per the institute’s records.
Please feel free to contact me if any clarification or documents are required in this regard. We will be grateful for your assistance.
(Your name and signature)
(Relation with student)
Key Details to Include in Transfer Certificate Requests
Refer to this checklist when writing your TC application letter:
- Letter addressed to correct authority
- Parents’ details if the applicant is a minor
- Clear reason necessitating TC
- Course name, department, stream/section details
- Admission year/roll number details
- Academic progress review if applicable
- Attach documents validating the reason stated
- Specify by when TC is required
- Statement about clearing all fee dues
- Politely ask for consideration of the application
- Share contact details for correspondence
- Close letter correctly
Following this checklist will ensure your TC application letter contains all essential information.
Things to Note When Applying for a Transfer Certificate
Additionally, keep these pointers in mind:
- Initiate the TC application procedures promptly so there’s enough time for processing.
- Avoid last-minute requests.
- Get clarity on the school/college TC issuing protocols beforehand. Their requirements may need compliance.
- If certain documents or verifications are needed from the student’s side, provide those timely for smooth TC issuance.
- For college TCs, the different departments and accounts offices process parts of the TC, so account for total end-to-end time.
- Keep following up if you don’t receive the TC within the typical processing timeline.
Key Takeaways: Application for Transfer Certificate
TCs certify a student’s academic record and confirm their de-enrollment before joining another institute.
- Plan your TC application letter well in advance when shifting institutes.
- Draft the application addressing it to the right authority like the Principal or Dean.
- Mention student particulars prominently in the letter.
- Specify reasons clearly needing you to take the TC document.
- Attach documents validating the grounds stated wherever relevant.
- Be reasonable about the TC issuance date request as per school/college procedures.
- Remember that the TC is crucial for seeking future admissions.
- Maintain cordial relations with your previous institutes even after issuance of the TC to
- facilitate assistance requests anytime later on if required.
FAQs on Application for Transfer Certificate
1. How much time does it take to get a Transfer Certificate?
For schools – You can expect to receive the TC within 1 to 2 weeks generally after request submission. Some schools have issues within a few working days.
For colleges – The end-to-end TC issuance timeline ranges from 7 days to 3 weeks based on the department and administrative processes involved. Complex cases may have longer timeframes.
2. What details does a Transfer Certificate document include?
While contents may vary slightly between schools and colleges, a transfer certificate typically mentions:
- Student name, age, date of birth details
- Class/standard, division/section, roll number details
- Stream or specialization (for colleges)
- Admission date, total duration attended
- Last date the student attended or year of passing
- Academic progress review
- Details about discipline and character
- Transfer authorization declaration
- Signatures of issuing authority like Principal with school seal
The key purpose of all these details is to enable seamless student transition between different education providers.
3. Can I Collect the Transfer Certificate Later On After Some Years?
Yes, you can certainly request your school/college to issue an original TC or duplicate TC even years after leaving the institute as records would still be maintained by them. There is no maximum time limit enforced.
Reasons for needing a TC long after include applying for jobs where proof of a certain qualification is asked for or for background checks where academic character certificates may be requested.
We hope this detailed guide gives you clarity on writing accurate transfer certificate application letters for hassle-free issuance!
Video Credit: SAZ education