The Government of India has introduced a new and innovative way to improve learning among students. They have launched some internship programs that offers a range of benefits to students. These benefits are not limited to gaining certificates, but also adding to their learning experience by participating in the program.
Indian Government Internships offer students the opportunity to gain experience and earn certificates upon completion of the internship program. These certificates are valuable in advancing their careers and can lead to a significant increase in their salary. Read on to learn more!
Indian Government Internship Schemes and Programs for 2023
1. NITI Aayog Internship Scheme
The NITI Aayog Internship Scheme is a government program that provides an opportunity for students to work in the government sector. Students who are currently enrolled in a college or university and pursuing a degree or research can apply for this program, whether in India or studying abroad.
Interns will have the chance to work in different departments at NITI Aayog and gain valuable knowledge and experience in how the Government functions and how different departments work together. This will help them make informed decisions about their future career.
NITI Aayog will offer internship opportunities throughout the year.
To be eligible for this internship, students must be a Bonafide student of any recognized university or institution in India or abroad and meet the following conditions:
1. Undergraduate students who have completed their term-end exams and have appeared in both the 4th semester of the bachelor’s degree and their 12th class, with a minimum cumulative exam score of 85%.
2. All graduates who appeared for their first, second, or final year-end exams after completing the postgraduate program are currently pursuing a Ph.D. degree and have scored at least 70% on average in their undergraduate program or equivalent.
3. Students who make it to the final exam or complete graduation/ post-graduation and those who graduated with a cumulative score of 70% or more may also be considered for the internship position.
4. Graduates who have passed their final exams and wish to enter a higher level of studies may also be considered for an internship if the timeline from the results being announced to them starting the internship is less than 6 months.
Interns will participate in the program for a minimum of 6 weeks. If interns do not complete the six weeks, they will not receive a certificate.
Interns who work in central government offices will not receive a stipend or cash.
How to apply?
Interested applicants may only apply online at www.niti.gov.in from the 1st to the 10th of every month.
2. MeitY Internship Scheme
The MeitY Internship Scheme (under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology) is designed to provide internship opportunities in the Government Sector and add mobility to fresh engineering talent. This internship provides a direct learning experience to fresh engineers keen to gain industry exposure in their early careers.
The MeitY Internship Scheme is an annual program offered in New Delhi to students.
To apply for an internship, students must have a minimum of 60% marks in their last held certificate/degree examination and be currently pursuing B.E/B. Tech, M.E/M. Tech/M.Sc.(Electronics)/MCA or Diploma in Electronics & Accreditation Council of India(DoEACC) ‘B’ level. Candidates must have prior work or academic/job projects related to the area of the internship they are applying for. If not, they should have updated knowledge of their field. They should also possess higher qualifications, at least an associate degree level.
Interns should work for at least two months, but no more than three months, depending on their performance and how quickly the Ministry feels they will benefit from the intern’s experience.
The Government will pay the interns a monthly stipend of 10,000 rupees and provide them with a certificate.
How to apply?
The application must be sponsored by the school/educational institution the student is attending. Interested and eligible students need to apply online at http://meity.gov.in/schemes.
3. Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) Internship Program
DPIIT, the Indian Government, has a program for students to learn more about the workings of the Indian Government. Students can learn about the different things the Indian Government does, how it works, and how it helps the people of India. This program is only for students in India who are pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree or doing research.
The DPIIT Internship Scheme is available year-round, and students can choose to do the internship for one, two, or three months. Interested students can apply for this internship program online.
Students who want to do an internship in the following areas are eligible to apply:
- Library Management
People from other areas can also apply, but they need to show how their area of study relates to the DPIIT’s work.
The DPIIT internship program is available year-round, and students can choose to do the internship for one, two, or three months.
The DPIIT will pay interns a stipend of 10,000 rupees per month.
How to apply?
Interested students can apply online at the DPIIT’s official website, and the online application will be sent to the Establishment Division. The Establishment Division will send the list of all the people who applied online to the divisions and sections, and the Bureau head will pick the intern(s) they need.
4. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Internship
The RBI research internship program at the central bank exposes interns to cutting-edge research in economic and monetary systems, bank regulation and supervision, financial markets, banking, and financial systems, including international finance.
It provides an excellent opportunity for those interested in pursuing higher studies in Economics, Banking, Finance, or similar fields with quantitative and analytic requirements.
The intern will work with researchers at RBI to provide policy inputs, papers, and articles for quality journals of economics and finance. They will be involved in compiling accurate, timely data and will assist with the relevant analytical, statistical, and econometric tools necessary to execute projects relating to research at RBI. They may also transition into writing research and policy articles.
Students who are studying in the following areas are eligible to apply:
DSIM: A postgraduate degree in statistics or economics or computer science or MBA in finance
DEPR: A postgraduate degree in economics or finance or MBA in finance.
SRU: A bachelor’s degree in engineering or bachelor’s degree in computer science or a postgraduate degree in economics or finance or MBA in finance.
ID: A postgraduate degree in economics or statistics or finance or MBA specializing in finance or banking or international relations.
The intern’s internship period will be for a maximum of two years, renewable every six months based on their performance and the organization’s needs.
RBI will pay a stipend of ₹ 45,000/- per month.
How to apply?
If you are interested in doing research, you should apply to the department of your choice. You should send your CV, references, and a statement of purpose to the address below.
Department of Economic and Policy Research (DEPR)
Address: Principal Adviser, Department of Economic and Policy Research, Reserve Bank of India, 7th Floor, Central Office Building, Shahid Bhagat Singh Road, Mumbai-400 001.
Department of Statistics and Information Management (DSIM)
Address: Adviser-in-Charge, Department of Statistics and Information Management, Reserve Bank of India, C-8/9, Bandra-Kurla Complex, Bandra, Mumbai 400 051.
Strategic Research Unit (SRU)
Address: Adviser-in-charge, International Department, Reserve Bank of India, 8th Floor, Central Office Building, Shahid Bhagat Singh Road, Mumbai-400 001.
5. DigiLocker Internship Program
DigiLocker is a cloud-based government-backed project that revolutionizes the way we deal with physical documents.
DigiLocker is conducting an internship opportunity that lasts six months, and they are looking for candidates with a passion for technology! The internship program is a six-month opportunity to develop your skills and expertise as you work on OpenForge. There is no stipend paid for the internship, but successful candidates will receive certificates that demonstrate their contributions to NeGD’s work.
DigiLocker internship positions that are being offered as part of this program can be categorized as:
- Content Writer
- Front End Development.
- UI/UX and Graphic Designer
- Security Researcher/Tester
- Product and Database management.
- Blockchain Technology
- iOS Development
DigiLocker Internship Conditions
The following are the conditions of the internship:
- The minimum time frame required is six months long, though it can be extended if the project is more extensive than expected.
- Like an internship, you will be doing this voluntarily – so you will not receive pay during that time.
- Although OpenForge will be used as a platform for collaboration and submissions of your work for review, you should know that no office space will be provided (as would happen with any standard internship).
The internship will be at least six months long. It can be longer if the project is more extensive than expected.
There is no payment for this internship, but you will get a certificate if you finish the internship.
How to apply?
To apply for an internship, open this form and fill in the requested details. If you have any questions regarding the offered internship program, you can write an email to [email protected] with the subject “Request for internship.”
6. Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Internship
The Ministry of External Affairs is going to launch a new program called the MEA Internships Program. It is for students who want to learn about working for the government. It will be part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations to commemorate 75 years of independence.
Interns are selected based on an application process and will be assigned work topics within the areas of competence of whichever department they are assigned for that term. They may be required to conduct research, write reports, or carry out any other tasks entrusted to them by a supervisor/department head or equivalent.
The internship program aims at providing the most promising young people from varied backgrounds with an introduction to the formulation of Foreign Policy and its implementation by the Government of India.
The program will be inviting applications from Indian citizens who wish to intern in its Headquarters. The internship duration will be a single term of three months, from April to June 2023.
Internships at MEA headquarters are generally open to:
- Students from India who have a degree from a recognized university can apply.
- Students who are still in university and are about to graduate can apply.
- Students must be under 25 years old on December 31st.
The internship will be for three months, from April to June 2023. The internship will be for at least one month and a maximum of three months.
Each selected intern will be paid INR 10,000 per month.
How to apply?
The selection process will be run online at www.internship.mea.gov.in. You need to register on the website and apply for the internship.
7. Ministry of Corporate Affairs Internship Program
The Ministry of Corporate Affairs proposes to implement an internship through which students can try out careers in fields relevant to the business world, such as law, finance, and management.
The internship program will provide a forum for ministry officers to work with young investigators and graduates from reputable schools who are conducting research in economics, law, finance, business, and information technology. The program offers interns an opportunity to learn about the workings of the Ministry at large and the implementation of policies by its field offices firsthand.
To be eligible to apply for this scheme, an applicant should fulfill the following conditions:
- The scheme will be available to Indian nationals only.
- The applicant must be a postgraduate or a research student in a university. The scheme aims to encourage research in the areas of Economics, Statistics, Management, Information Technology, Computer Science, Law, Finance, and Commerce.
- The applicant must have an excellent academic record with a minimum of 80% at a higher secondary level.
- The applicant must have an Aadhaar card, a mobile number, and an email address.
The internship duration will be for a maximum period of two months.
The selected interns will be provided with a stipend of Rs.10,000/- per month.
How to apply?
Applications will be accepted every year on January 1st. To apply, applicants should fill in the application and send it to “[email protected].”
8. Finance Ministry Internship Program
With the cooperation of the Department of Expenditure, the Ministry of Finance invites Indian Nationals pursuing post-graduation or research programs to apply for an internship at the Ministry during their course.
This internship aims to familiarize interns with the overall process of formulating economic policies at the national level by understanding how specific responsibilities are discharged by various Ministries associated with the Government.
The following are the eligibility criteria to get into the Finance Ministry Internship Program:
- Indian students who are pursuing a master’s degree in economics, finance, management, law, or any other professional course.
- Students pursuing a postgraduate degree should have obtained a first-class degree in their undergraduate degree.
- Research scholars who have obtained at least a 50% score in post-graduation and pursuing courses in Economics, Finance, and Management.
- Students enrolled as part of the 4th and 5th year of a five-year integrated law course should have earned an 80% average over their 12th grade.
The duration of the internship is two to six months.
The selected interns will be provided a stipend of Rs.10,000/- per month.
How to apply?
You can send your application either by mail or hand it to the below address –
Shri Singh Vir Pratap, Joint Director, Department of Public Enterprises, Room No. 318, Block No.14, CGO Complex, Lodi Road, New Delhi-110003
9. Women and Child Development Ministry Internship Program
The Ministry of Women and Child Development is currently inviting applications for internship programs from students pursuing their graduation/post-graduation courses in various academic institutions across India.
The program aims to enable student interns to acquire knowledge about government schemes and policies through work experience and interact with like-minded peers.
This program is focused on identifying students and ensuring exposure to the Ministry’s policies, programs, research, and statistical works. It intends to provide students undergoing graduation or post-graduation courses opportunities to engage in one to two-month internships with other organizations within the government sector relative to topics concerning their academic focus.
A. Short-Term Internship Program:
The short-term internship program is one to two months long. The short-term internship program is from April to May, June to July, October to November, November, and December to January.
B. Long-Term Internship Program:
The long-term internship program is six months long. It will be from May to October and then November to April.
- Short-term (one-month) Internship: Students from undergraduate courses in any subject.
- Two-months Internship: Students who have completed their graduation in any subject.
- Long-term internship of six months: Students who have completed their post-graduation or are currently enrolled in a PG program.
- Short-term Internship: One month.
- Two-months Internship: Two months.
- Long-term Internship: Six months.
The selected interns will be provided with a stipend according to their internship:
- Short-term Internship: No stipend, but a certificate will be provided after completing the internship.
- Two-months Internship: Monthly stipend of INR 5,000/-.
- Long-term Internship: Monthly stipend of INR 10,000/-.
How to apply?
Students and scholars who are interested in working with the Ministry of WCD may apply for applications by downloading the intern application form from the organization’s website and sending it to: [email protected].
10. Directorate General of Foreign Trade Internship Program
The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) is a government agency responsible for trade in goods and services with other countries. The agency is part of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The DGFT has decided to start an internship program for students studying economics, law, finance, and management.
The DGFT will assign interns to work in different areas. The interns will work on the following tasks for the DGFT:
- Analyzing international trade
- Analyzing market conditions across significant markets
- Simplifying rules and procedures
- Rewriting or rephrasing policies
- Reviewing and making changes to policies
- Reviewing existing notifications
- Making changes to rules and procedures
- Reducing transaction costs.
- Candidates who have a bachelor’s degree in law or one of the following fields: economics, finance, management, and public policy from a national school are eligible for this internship.
- Candidates must have earned at least 60% of their undergraduate degree from a nationally accredited institution.
- Candidates who have studied economics, finance, or business management will be preferred.
The internship will last up to two months for the summer internship program.
Interns will receive a stipend of 10,000 rupees each month.
How to apply?
If you are interested in an internship, you can apply online by filling out this online form. You will need a letter from your supervisor or head of the department if you are taking an internship during your coursework.
As we can see, government internships are an excellent opportunity for students to gain experience, find jobs, and earn certificates that will help them advance their careers. It is essential for students to take advantage of Indian government internships and use them to find jobs in the future.