When students complete their schooling after 10th or 12th grade, they need to submit certain documents to enroll in colleges for higher education. One of the most important documents required for this process is a migration certificate. This certificate allows a smooth transition for students moving between educational institutions.
What is a Migration Certificate?
A migration certificate is a document issued by the education board certifying that a student has successfully completed their studies or coursework at one school and is now leaving that institution. It is issued after clearance of Class 10 or Class 12 examinations from recognized boards like CBSE, ICSE, State boards, etc.
The migration certificate contains essential student details like name, date of birth, roll number, school name, and course details. It formally states that the student has completed their education from that school and has cleared all examinations. It signifies that the student is eligible for enrollment in another institution for further studies.
The document is mandatory for admission into any new college or university after finishing schooling. It serves as proof of qualifications, credentials, and eligibility to advance academics. The certificate allows students to migrate from one board or school to another for their next level of education. It is an important document issued by the current school when a student transitions to a new institution.
Why Do You Need a Migration Certificate?
There are several important reasons you need a migration certificate when moving to a new school after 10+2:
- New school enrollment: Most schools will ask for a migration certificate before enrolling transfer students. It serves as proof you completed your previous coursework.
- University admissions: Migration certificates are usually mandatory for getting admission into colleges, along with other documents like marksheets. The certificate shows you are qualified.
- Change of school/board: Whether you switch schools in the same state or move to a new state, you need this document when changing school boards.
- Eligibility for further education: Migration certificates are essential for demonstrating your eligibility to continue higher education, like from 10+2 to undergraduate programs.
- No pending requirements: The certificate confirms you have cleared everything from your previous school and have no pending requirements before moving to higher studies.
So in short, a migration certificate is an important document needed for a smooth transition between your schooling stages.
When Do You Get a Migration Certificate?
Migration certificates are only issued after you have successfully completed your 10+2 board examinations.
Here is the general process of receiving your migration certificate:
- First, you’ll need to finish your 10+2 exams and wait for the results.
- Once the exam results are announced, your respective board (CBSE, ICSE, etc.) will automatically send the migration certificate to your school.
- Your school will then upload a digital copy of the certificate to its online student portal. Or in some cases, they may distribute printed copies.
- This process usually happens within 2-3 weeks after your board exam results are declared.
- To use the certificate for your new enrollment, you’ll need to collect the printed original from your school, signed by the principal.
So the key point is that migration certificates are only given after passing 10+2 exams, as you are now ready to migrate out of that school.
Migration vs. Transfer Certificates
There is an important difference between a migration certificate and transfer certificate that you need to know.
- Migration Certificate – Issued when you complete your 10+2 and move out of one school to another. It is needed when migrating between boards.
- Transfer Certificate – Issued when you change schools before completing 10+2. For instance, if you switch schools in middle of 9th grade.
A transfer certificate is meant for students switching schools before finishing 10+2. The migration certificate is what you need when you have cleared Class 12 and are ready to join a new school or college for further education.
How To Apply for a Migration Certificate?
The process of getting a migration certificate may vary slightly depending on your school’s specific procedures. But here are the usual steps to apply for and receive a migration certificate:
- Check with your current school for procedure. There will be a migrate certificate application form.
- Fill in the form with your personal details accurately. Attach any documents needed.
- Pay the required fee, usually around ₹150. The school submits this to the board.
- The certificate is issued only after exams are finished and results declared.
- Collect the original certificate from your school head or principal once ready.
- Verify it has the authorized signatures. Photocopies may not be accepted.
- Keep the document safe as it will be required by your new college or university.
The application goes through your current school to the education board. Exact steps may vary across different boards like CBSE, ICSE, or State Boards. Check with your school staff for specifics.
Documents Required for a Migration Certificate
To obtain the migration certificate, students need to submit certain documents as proof to the school and board. The key documents required are:
- Copy of the provisional certificate or passing certificate of the last qualifying exam. This serves as proof of completion.
- Final marksheet of the last exam. This provides details of subjects studied and marks obtained.
- Grade report card of the previous semester or year. This shows continuity in ongoing academics.
- Aadhar card as identity proof.
- Fee receipt paid to school for migration certificate application.
- Bonafide certificate from the institution may also be required in some cases.
Submitting the necessary documents along with a correctly filled application form will ensure smooth processing of the migration certificate. The documents provide validation and details for the board to issue the certificate.
CBSE Migration Certificate
The CBSE or Central Board of Secondary Education is one the main educational boards in India. If you have completed 10+2 from a CBSE affiliated school, here are key points about obtaining your CBSE migration certificate:
- Once your Class 12 CBSE results are declared, the board will automatically send your certificate to your school.
- You can then download the soft copy from your CBSE Digilocker account using your previous school’s login.
- The printed original will be issued by your school, signed by the principal, within 2-3 weeks of receiving exam results.
- To apply for the urgent tattoo-printed version, you need to directly contact your regional CBSE office along with a fee.
So in short, follow up with your previous CBSE-affiliated school to get this important certificate once your board results are out.
ICSE Migration Certificate
Similarly, if you completed 10+2 from an ICSE affiliated school, here is how you can get the ICSE migration certificate:
- The ICSE board issues certificates to schools in bulk, soon after releasing exam results.
- Your school needs to directly pay the board a fee of ₹150 per student certificate.
- The printed certificates are then mailed from ICSE Kolkata office to your school principal.
- Your school will inform you when to collect the original certificate after signing it.
- For any urgent requests, you can contact your regional ICSE office along with the applicable fees.
Migration Certificate Validity
Migration certificates are considered valid for up to 2 years from the date of issue. But this can vary between different educational boards.
For instance, the CBSE migration certificate has an unlimited validity and does not expire.
On the other hand, ICSE migration certificates must be revalidated after 2 years by paying a small fee to get a new certificate.
It’s best to check your certificate properly to see if there is any validity period mentioned on it. For longer durations, you may need to get it reissued from the same board.
Migration Certificate Application Format
The migration certificate format can vary slightly across different boards but usually includes:
- Name of the board issuing the certificate
- Student’s name
- Father’s name
- Date of birth
- Details of school and classes attended
- Exam completed and year of passing
- Mention of ‘no dues outstanding’
- Authorizing signatures of principal and controller
- Official stamp of the education board
- Date of issue
- Unique certificate number
The format and design is as per the issuing authority like CBSE, ICSE etc. The content ensures it serves as bonafide proof for students changing institutions.
Migration Certificate Application Format Sample
A sample format for the migration certificate application is given below. It should be submitted to the school principal or registrar.
Subject: Application for Migration Certificate
I (Student Name), currently studying in Class/Grade ____ at (School Name) school, hereby I am writing this letter to request for my migration certificate from the school.
My details are given below:
I have successfully completed Class 12 from this school and wish to apply for higher studies. It would be kind of you if could please issue my migration certificate at the earliest, to enable me to apply to colleges.
I hereby assure you that I have cleared all pending fees and have no financial dues towards the school.
Please let me know if any other information is required from my end. Looking forward to receiving the migration certificate.
Application Letter for Migration Certificate
If the migration certificate is urgently required, students can submit an application letter to the school principal explaining the need and requesting it to be issued quickly. Here is a sample letter format:
Subject: Request for urgent issue of Migration Certificate
I finished Grade 12 from this school in Batch of YYYY. I had applied for the migration certificate but have not yet received it.
I am writing to humbly request for my migration certificate to be issued urgently as I need to submit it to complete my admission process for Bachelor’s course at XYZ College.
The admission deadline is approaching fast and I am unable to complete the enrollment formalities without the original migration certificate from school. I request your help in urgently processing and providing it to me.
I shall be very grateful to you for the kind assistance. Please let me know if any information is needed from my end to expedite this.
The migration certificate is a small but very important document in a student’s academic journey. By now, you should have a clearer understanding of what a migration certificate is, why you need it, and how to apply for it from your previous school.
Remember that it is mandatory when moving from one board to another for higher studies after your Class 12 exams. Handover the process properly and keep the certificate safely for any future enrollment!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Can we directly get the migration certificate from the board?
A1. No, migration certificates are only issued via your previous school. The board sends it to the school first.
Q2. Is it mandatory when changing schools within same board?
A2. Yes, it is required even if you change schools within the same state or education board.
Q3. What if I lose my original migration certificate?
A3. You can apply for a duplicate from the same board that issued it, along with any applicable fees.
Q4. Who signs the migration certificate?
A4. It is mandatory for the school principal to sign and stamp the original migration certificate. Unsigned certificates are invalid.
Q5. Can we get migration certificates online?
A5. Some boards may allow you to download soft copies online from the academic portal. But the original signed hard copy is still required for official purposes.
Video Credit: Letters in English