In recent years, online gaming has taken the entertainment industry by storm. With the rapid advancement of technology, online games have become more accessible and engaging than ever before. It’s no surprise that people of all ages are spending hours immersed in virtual worlds, interacting with friends and family from all corners of the globe.
In fact, online gaming has become so popular that it’s now one of the fastest-growing sectors in the entertainment industry, with revenues expected to exceed $196 billion this year alone. In this article, we’ll explore how to build a career in online gaming and courses available in India.
How to Build an Online Gaming Career?
Online gaming is a highly competitive career option. It is a career that requires immense skills and talent. The more you play the game, the better you get at it and the more money you earn from it. It can be an extremely lucrative career option.
If you are thinking about making a career in the online gaming industry, here is everything you need to know:
Online Gaming Career & Job Opportunities
There are many opportunities available in the online gaming industry. The opportunities range from game developers to marketing managers, software engineers to graphic designers, customer service representatives, and more. The opportunities are endless.
The only limit is your imagination.
Many online gaming companies are looking for people with the right skills and talent to fill these vacancies. So if you have the skills and talent, there is no reason why you should not be able to find a job in this field that will pay you very well.
Here are some popular career options & job opportunities in Gaming Industry.
A game designer is responsible for designing and implementing the overall vision of a game. In this position, you will be responsible for creating the entire gaming universe embedded within the game. This includes the storyline, characters, environments, gameplay, and all of the general frameworks and ideas required for any quality game. Game designers create their unique style and look to fit the game they are designing.
Game Designer Responsibilities
Game designers have several responsibilities that they must fulfill to be successful. Some of these responsibilities include the following:
- Create the overall vision for the game
- Create a storyline for the game
- Create new characters and personalities for the game
- Develop a plot for the game
- Develop the game’s rules
- Create the user interface of the game (menus and controls)
- Create a detailed map of the game
- Design the look and feel of the game
- Create all graphics and art for the game
Coding is the most important part of game development, and game programmers are the people who write codes for a game. They are the primary source of input to a game. They should understand game design concepts and programming languages such as C++, Java, Visual Basic, etc. The programming languages used by the Game Developers are the ones that make the games playable and fun.
The Game Programmer has to work under tight deadlines and have good time management skills. The role of a Game Programmer is to help in making the game more appealing and attractive by bringing out the best from the concept and ideas.
Game Programmer Responsibilities
Game Programmer is responsible for the following:
- Developing the game logic.
- Writing clear, concise code for the game.
- Programming the game engines.
- Setting up the game environment.
- Testing and debugging the game software
- Maintaining accurate records of all testing activities.
- Making the game ready for release.
- Maintaining the game.
- Adding new features to the game.
- Keeping the game up-to-date with new technology.
Game Audio Engineer
Game Audio Engineer is a term used for people responsible for creating the sounds for a video game. Game audio engineers are responsible for making the sounds of the environment, characters, and weapons, or they might be responsible for the sounds of the game’s vehicles, music, and other game elements.
Game Audio Engineer Responsibilities
- Create the sounds for the game environment
- Record and edit the sounds of the game characters
- Record and edit the sounds of the game weapons
- Maintain the game’s “engine,” which is the set of rules the game follows to create its sounds
- Provide any ambient audio that is not part of the game’s engine
- Mix all the elements in a way that matches the producer’s vision for the overall aesthetic of the world being created
Game Sound Designer
A game sound designer is responsible for creating game sounds, including music, environmental sounds, and sound effects. A game sound designer typically works closely with a game programmer and other development team members to create sounds that enhance the gameplay experience.
Game Sound Designer Responsibilities
- Create and develop sound effects for game characters and environments.
- Develop background music to accompany gameplay and add atmosphere to the game.
- Design and compose soundtracks for game levels.
- Design and compose sound effects for gameplay.
- Provide technical support for sound effects and music composition.
- Work with game programmers to design audio that enhances the game experience.
- Participate in and contribute to the development process.
Game Animators are also known as Game Character Animators. They are responsible for creating a series of pictures that visually represent the movement and behavior of characters within a game. The game characters may be human or non-human, and the games may be 2D or 3D.
First-person shooters, racing games, platform games, fighting games, and adventure games are examples of video games that require animation.
Game Animator Responsibilities
- Create the animation for the game characters.
- Create and develop a character’s appearance, movements, and facial expressions.
- Create a character’s personality through the use of voice-over and dialogue.
- Create animations that support the game’s storyline and gameplay.
- Develop an understanding of how to create characters that are believable and realistic.
- Develop an understanding of the different types of animation.
- Create an animation that is in-character, appropriate, and well-timed.
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with other members of the team.
Game Interpreters and Translators
Interpreters and translators are responsible for converting the game’s original language into various languages. These are usually the languages used by the game players, but it may also be a language that the game developer uses for documentation and instructions.
Game translators are responsible for translating the game’s instructions and documentation.
Game Interpreter Responsibilities
- Convert the source code from the original language into more target languages.
- Change the characters’ dialogue into another language while maintaining its meaning.
- Change the graphics and visual elements from the original language into one or more target languages.
- Provide any other technical assistance needed to make the game work in one or more target languages.
Game Translator Responsibilities
- Translate the instructions and documentation from the original language into one or more target languages.
- Ensure all the instructions and documentation are clear, concise, and easy to read. Proofread and re-proofread everything for accuracy.
- Create a global version of all translations by hand if necessary.
Game Play Tester
Gameplay testers test games to make sure they are fun, challenging, and exciting. They test games to make sure they work well on the system and ensure all the rules are followed. Game playtesters watch players and record what they do while playing the game. They may also take notes on what they see or hear players say.
Game Play Tester Responsibilities
The responsibilities of a gameplay tester include:
- Make sure the rules of the game are followed.
- Make sure the game is fair. (Eg. A game that gives one player an unfair advantage over another.)
- Recording the actions of players as they play the game.
- Watching the players and taking notes on what they do.
- Keeping an open mind and an eagerness to learn about the game.
- Reporting any bugs or problems to the developers.
Various game publishers employ game Critics, or sometimes, they work as freelancers for various clients. They are responsible for giving their clients (publishers) an honest review of their games. Their primary responsibility is to play and rate the game for its overall quality.
Game Critics Responsibilities
- The game must be rated as a whole. They will not rate it based on specific elements or sub-elements like graphics, sound, or gameplay.
- They will rate the game based on the elements that they consider essential.
- Game Critics can only rate games that are within their level of expertise.
- Game Critics are required to review the game in the context of other games of a similar genre.
- Game Critics should avoid giving out any information about the game before the release date. They are not allowed to give any hints to what is in the game.
Game Actor or Host
As a Game Actor, your primary responsibility will be to deliver high-energy, believable, and interactive performances of all the different characters in a video game. You will also be expected to interact with the players via microphones and other communication devices and to moderate the interaction between the players and the game.
You can do this by asking questions, cheering on the players, encouraging them when they are doing well, and discouraging them when they are doing poorly.
YouTube Video Credit- Freshersworld.com
Best Online Gaming Career Courses
Gaming courses include the concept of game design and development. With the help of these courses, students can learn to create a new game from scratch or improve the existing one using tools and technologies.
Best Gaming Courses available in India
Here are some of the best gaming courses available in India.
Certificate & Diploma Courses
- Certificate in Gaming
- Certificate course in Game Art & Design
- Diploma in Production Gaming
- Diploma in Game Design and Integration
- Diploma in Animation, Gaming, and Special Effect
- Diploma in Game Design (DGD)
- Diploma in Game Development
- Diploma in Game Programming
- Advanced Diploma in Game Art & 3D Game Content Creation
- Advance Diploma in Game Programming
- Advance Diploma in Game Design and Development Application
- B.Sc. in Gaming
- Bachelors in Media Animation & Design (BMAD)
- B.Sc. Animation & Gaming
- Bachelor of Science in Animation Game Design and Development
- Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) – Computer Science and Game Development
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Animation & Computer Graphics
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Graphics, Animation & Gaming
- Integrated M.Sc. in Multimedia & Animation with Game Art & Design
- M.Sc. in Gaming
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Game Design and Development
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Multimedia and Animation
Best Gaming Courses University/Colleges In India
- Vels Institute Of Science, Technology & Advanced Studies, Chennai
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar, Punjab
- The University Of Petroleum And Energy Studies, Dehradun
- Rimt University, Gobindgarh
- Presidency University, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Era University – Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Maharishi University Of Information Technology, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Backstage Pass Institute Of Gaming And Technology, Hyderabad, Telangana
- National Institute Of Design, Bangalore, Karnataka
- ICAT Design And Media College Bangalore, Karnataka
- Backstage Pass Institute Of Gaming And Technology, Hyderabad, Telangana
- MIT Institute Of Design, Pune, Maharashtra
- Bharti Vidyapeeth University, Pune
- Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematic (MAAC), Mumbai
- Arena Animations, New Delhi
- Zee Institute of Creative Arts, Bangalore
- iPixio Animation College, Bangalore
- Animaster Academy – College for excellence in Animation, Bangalore
- Academy of Animation and Gaming, Noida
Best Gaming Courses University/Colleges In Abroad
The main focus of these programs is to give students the right skills and knowledge to become a professional in the video game industry. Students can learn new concepts, methods, and techniques to develop games, animations, and other interactive media for various platforms.
Some of the top universities around the globe have started to offer specialized video gaming programs for students. These programs are designed to prepare students for careers in the video game industry and related fields.
The following are some of the best universities offering video gaming degrees worldwide.
- Full Sail University, USA
- University of Michigan, USA
- University of London, United Kingdom
- University of South Wales, United Kingdom
- The University of the West of England, United Kingdom
- Valdosta State University, USA
- Whittier College, USA
- York University, Canada
The Requirement to Pursue Online Gaming Career
The gaming world is constantly evolving, and it is only getting more complex. More and more people are getting involved with the gaming industry, and there are more jobs available than ever before. The good news is that as the industry grows, the need for qualified professionals is also increasing.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in the gaming industry, you should consider a degree or qualification in this field.
Here are some basic requirements you should have if you want to work in the online gaming industry:
1. Good English Skills – You will be working with other professionals in the online gaming industry, and you need to communicate effectively with them. If your English is not good enough, you will find it challenging to get the job you want.
2. A Degree or Qualification – You need a degree or qualification to work in the online gaming industry. This will help you stand out from the crowd, and you will be able to get a job that you can enjoy.
3. Understanding of Online Gaming – You should understand what makes online gaming different from traditional gaming. You should be able to distinguish between online gaming and traditional gaming.
4. Knowledge of Gaming Technology – If you want to work in the online gaming industry, you should understand game designing, programming and the software and hardware used for online game development.
5. Creative Skills – You should be able to develop your own ideas and concepts to create a unique game design.
6. Attention to Detail – You should be able to follow instructions, and you should be able to complete your tasks on time. You should be able to work in a team and others.
7. Interest in Gaming – If you want to work in the online gaming industry, you need to be interested in this field.
8. A Desire to Learn – You should have a desire to learn. You should be someone willing to expand your horizons and take on new challenges.
Frequently Asked Questions about Online Gaming Career
1. Why a Career in Gaming?
Gaming is an exciting and growing industry with an increasing demand for qualified people. The industry continues to grow with new technologies and ever-evolving games that demand various skills. The industry offers various career opportunities, ranging from artists and musicians to programmers and production managers.
2. Is Gaming a Good Career Option?
The games industry was one of the hardest hit by the recession of 2008. For a while, it was in the doldrums. However, the industry has recovered in a big way, and it is now one of the fastest-growing industries on the Internet.
In the past few years, the number of people choosing to enter the gaming industry has increased. The gaming industry is constantly growing, and many people want to be a part of it. If you love playing games and want to earn a living doing so, this is an excellent career option.
3. What is the online Gaming Career Opportunity in India?
A online gaming career in India is an excellent opportunity for anyone who has an aptitude for computers. The industry has a very bright future, and it is possible to make a lot of money if you are willing to work hard.
4. What is the Online Gaming Career after the 12th?
If you are really interested in making a online gaming career after the 12th, I would advise you to go for a course in game programming. If you are good at coding and want to take up a career in game programming, you should consider pursuing a course in Game Programming.
5. What is the Gaming Career Salary in India?
In India, the average salary of a video game designer/ developer is around Rs. 4.5 lacs per annum depending on the working organization and skills.
As technology is overgrowing, the demand for a game developer is also rising. A career as a game developer can be lucrative, especially if you are passionate about the games industry. It is a challenging and rewarding profession and offers the best of both worlds.
In this article, we have provided you with all the information you need to know about the online gaming career. We hope that our article has helped you make a sound decision about your career. If you have any questions, please ask us in the comments section below.