Who Gets Gold Medal In University?: In India, the prestigious gold medal for university graduation goes to the top student in the class. The holder of this distinction is typically someone who has achieved the highest academic standing and shown exemplary conduct and leadership both on and off-campus. In this article, we will explore the criteria for receiving a gold medal in university in India.
Who Gets Gold Medal In University?
The conferral of a gold medal is considered one of the highest honors that a university can bestow on a student. The medal is typically made of gold or sterling silver and carries a monetary award with it.
The tradition of awarding a gold medal to the top student in university began in the United Kingdom in the early 1800s. It soon became popular in other countries as well, including India. Today, gold medals are awarded at universities all around the world.
According to the University of Delhi:
“The Medal shall be awarded to the candidate adjudged for general proficiency including character, conduct, and excellence in academic performance extra activities, and social services. “
So, You can say that the holder of a gold medal in a university in India is someone who has achieved the highest academic standing and shown exemplary conduct and leadership both on and off-campus.
Criteria for Receiving a Gold Medal in University in India
There are several criteria that universities in India consider when awarding gold medals to graduating students. These include:
- Achieving the highest academic standing and showing exemplary conduct and leadership both on and off-campus.
- Achieving the highest GPA in the graduating class. This criterion is generally implemented by universities, but some universities also consider student participation in co-curricular activities or general body meetings as an eligibility criterion.
- Standing first in the order of merit in the examination at the graduate or postgraduate level.
- Making an outstanding contribution towards research work, which can be considered one of the criteria for awarding gold medals to students.
- Winning a national/international award, which is considered an outstanding achievement by universities and can be used as an initial criterion for awarding a gold medal to brilliant students.
Some universities in India also award gold medals to students who maintain an excellent academic record and contribute immensely to the development of the department and college community at large through extra-curricular activities.
Benefits of Winning a Gold Medal
Winning a gold medal is one of the highest honors that a university can bestow on a student. The medal is typically made of gold or sterling silver and carries a monetary award with it. In some cases, gold medal winners are also paid by universities for outstanding performance to strengthen their career and stature outside the college.
To become a gold medalist, you need to maintain a high GPA, excellent conduct, and required leadership skills inside and outside the university premises. If you want to be a gold medalist in any field or faculty, follow the criteria mentioned above to attain success.